About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, sister, mother, teacher and friend. These are my stories.

Monday, June 28, 2010

First Olympic Triathlon: 1500 yard swim, 24.9 bike, 6.5 run


(A.K.A. “Upchuck Kathy”)
Many friends and family members have asked me to write about completing my first Olympic Triathlon, the Silicon Valley International Triathlon (SVIT) on June 13th. To begin “my story” I must first tell you that about three years ago I completed a sprint distance triathlon in Monterey with my very good friend Misti and her husband Scott (known as the “kelp crawl” because you muster your way through yards of kelp in the ocean). The next summer my father was gravely ill and sadly passed away in August of that year. I spent any free time I had with he, my mom, and my family at their house and have no regrets for doing so. Last year, in memory of my dad, my youngest daughter Shelby and I trained for several months with the Forward Motion Race Club (FOMO) “newbie” triathlon group. It was very special. And so it began “for real.”
What began “for real” was the triathlon bug or training. Or really, the love and enjoyment of exercising was ignited once again. Many of you know I was a synchronized swimmer and qualified for the Olympic trials. I grew up swimming most of my youth and teenaged adolescence swimming from 5 to 8: 00 pm at Heather Farms Pool in Walnut Creek and Saturdays from 9-12:00. Those were the minimum hours. Several times during the year I would make the trek before school as well or sleepover another swimmer’s house in order to make all the practices. I quit my senior year of high school, some would argue too soon (no chance for college scholarships despite good grades and decent ability). I had been swimming from the age of 8 until I was nearly 18 and I lost the joy of competition. I took some time off, gained tons of weight (was still eating as though I was swimming 15-20 hours a week) and then began to workout in other ways in order to burn some of the “lbs” that had made their way onto my body for the first time in my life. Aerobics, body sculpting, windsurfing, skiing, kickboxing, and more were added to my repertoire. Eventually I swam once more for a year, as a member of the cast of the New Orleans World’s Fair Aquacade show (think: beginning of Las Vegas “O” show). It was a kick and done totally for enjoyment & allowed me to save a great deal of money for college.
The years flew by as I married (and divorced 17 years later), taught students in grades K-12th and had three kids of my own. As a result, I have attended a variety of sports and more: baseball, softball, volleyball, soccer, lacrosse, Irish dancing, a bowling league, Girl Scouts, science camps, basketball, and the National Charity League. I “participated” in all as a spectator, a volunteer, or as a team mom. I cheered, rooted and clapped my way through many hours of joy and heartache with my kids. Now they are 21, nearly 19 and 16 years old. And though I’ve always remained active, I did so around their schedules and activities.
Since completing a Tri for Fun with Shelby last year, I added the Tri for Real in August (the day after a painful breakup of a three year relationship), and a longer sprint distance triathlon in Morgan Hill this past May.
During the past year I have learned many things. I’ve learned first and foremost that cross training helps Arthritis of the knees feel as if it doesn’t exist. I’ve learned that if you don’t take the time to stretch after 50 mile bike rides and longer runs, you can pull your back while folding laundry & sitting improperly at work and it can take 6 months of physical therapy and lots of determination and patience to fully recover from it. I’ve learned the benefits of icing right after a race or working out and daily morning stretches.
I’ve learned to swim in open water, wear and care for a wetsuit. I’ve learned if you don’t put on Body Glide on your neck while wearing a neoprene cap in the winter, you will end up with a chaffing on your neck that feels like a rug burn and looks like a horrible case of “hickey-itis” ( but comes without any of the benefits). I have learned what my split for a 100-yard swim is (thanks to clinics), to relax my arms more, to reach over a barrel while stroking and to try to glide with each stroke. I’ve learned that when you swim in open water and it is very wavy you just keep heading straight and that it is really fun. I’ve learned that women and men in all age groups can smoke me but it doesn’t matter as I’ve rediscovered the joy of swimming.
I’ve learned how to begin to handle my road bike, bouncing like a bunny, shifting gears for uphill and downhill and to try and speed up my cadence. I’ve learned how to draft while bike riding (or swimming for that matter) and to not to use Aero bars in a group ride as injuries will result. I have learned to sit upright while riding up a hill and crouch down and forward while going down or into the wind. I have learned to eat and drink while riding so I won’t “bonk.” I have learned if you don’t feel good before a bike ride begins and your tummy is rumbling that yes, you will vomit on a rather benign hill. Speaking of hills, I have learned to take the rear position on uphill climbs, another lesson in humility, as I become road kill for my teammates as they pass me by. Again. I have learned how to change a tire (but thank God, have not had to do it yet). I have learned about leg warmers, arm warmers, windbreakers and what it’s like to bike in weather so cold that ice forms on my helmet and fogs up my glasses.
I have much to learn about running still, as my injuries have prevented me from really being able to push myself in that arena. I do know I need to relax my shoulders (that is a constant in all three disciplines), keep my fingers near my hips and take tiny steps rather than long strides. I have learned to find dirt paths or lost all humility in groups and run on the Astroturf instead of the track when my back hurt. I learned to remember sunscreen and drink water before working out. I learned that if you don’t clip your toenails very, very short that if it’s hot and you race, you’ll lose half, if not all, of the entire big toenail. And it will hurt. And it will look ugly. I will learn that next time I will wear a shoe an entire size bigger. And you will learn humility all over again.
I have also learned that hard exercise affects my health in “womanly” regions. I will spare many of the details (as a courtesy to the reader) but let’s just say it wasn’t pleasant in the southern area of my physique for a while. I now take an Acidophilus dietary supplement. And even though I am menopausal, “Aunt Flow” comes to visit on occasion even though “she” hasn’t visited in a year and a half because of the stress of the longer competitions.
So what about that Olympic Distance Triathlon of a few weeks ago? Well, I finished. I had fun. I did not vomit. I was part of a team again. However, I did get overheated. My toes hurt and I lost a few toenails. I was slower than molasses for most of the entire race. I was like the tortoise. I finished s-l-o-w-l-y but surely. I went home happy. I road while I was in Tahoe the next day, just for fun. I am signed up to do another Olympic Distance Triathlon in August in Folsom. I guess you can tell, I have rediscovered a newfound love for exercising again. I am not competitive. I have changed. I enjoy it just for the sake of doing it. The triathlon in Silicon Valley confirmed what I already knew in my heart, I just love being active.

No comments:

Post a Comment