About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, sister, mother, teacher and friend. These are my stories.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Maui Bike Tour-Windmill Beach, Kahului/Wailuku Part 3

Photo taken by Rick Gunn
We had only just begun our bicycle tour when I paused to reflect upon the fact that I hardly knew anyone on this trip. I've known Rick Gunn since junior high but we'd only become fast friends this past year and through him I'd met the others: Kevin Cannon who had planned this adventure in honor of his sister Vanessa Cannon. Like me, Vanessa is a teacher, though her students and her resources are very different than mine. She teaches on Maui, and I currently teach in San Ramon. I had ridden with Ken Mirell, kayaked with Rob Swain, been biking with Eric Jarvis and had only just heard about Taylor Flynn. Many of this group are photographers and most lived near Tahoe or had at some point. They all were here for the same reason as me: an adventure on Maui.

I had a very heavy bike that my oldest daughter had outgrown, a Specialized bike that was about ten years old and much heavier than I would recommend using. I'd ordered a sturdy pannier rack from REI and felt somewhat humbled and honored to borrow the panniers Rick had taken around the world on his three year adventure. 

I can only guess at the total amount of weight I carried with all of the gear, as well as my acquired bicycle. In a word, it was heavy. Too heavy. I will rethink every little thing I pack in the future and seriously consider a lighter bike. Still, I was happy. SO happy to be on this bike tour with a group of relative strangers in a place I'd only just met.

We headed from Kihei along the coast with our first goal to stop in Lahaina for refreshments. Vanessa was riding a lightweight road bike that she'd rented for the week and was going great. She was not carrying any gear and a friend would join us later that evening with her belongings. She'd started off rather timid and in no time was going great guns, so great in fact, both she and her brother were giddy.

Rick Gunn captures whales on film.
 We stopped whenever we saw something that we wanted to capture on film. Early on we had whales swimming beside us to our left. It was pure magic. Spirits were high and we were all a bit playful as we headed up the coast.
Rob Swain and I pose for the camera.

As we continued on somehow Vanessa and Ken took a tumble. Vanessa jumped up and at first we thought she would be okay after we bandaged her up. Unfortunately the closer we looked the more serious we realized she was hurt, bruising her ribs, road rash and more.

Sadly, Vanessa was not able to continue riding and we had to go forward on our trip without her. Our little band of merry riders was down one person after just a few hours. She would join us later via car, but it would not be what she'd envisioned.

We somberly pedaled a few more miles to Lahaina and the Banyan Tree Park where art and food were being sold.

We continued to bike, stopping for photos as we rode. This was not a race and it is amazing how by the end of the day the tempo of our riding had clearly changed. Pedal, pedal, climb, stop for photos, drink, snack and pedal some more.

Eric Jarvis, Rob Swain, Ken Mirell, Taylor Flynn, Kevin Cannon, Kathy Dillingham, Rick Gunn
After riding further, we stopped for another water break and topped off our empty containers for the evening and next morning's ride. We also purchased fresh vegetables and fruit for dinner to add to our previously packed food supply. Mounting our bikes once more we headed to our first night's destination,  Windmill Beach. 
Windmill Beach

One member in our group had contacted the owners of the beach to ask permission to stay overnight. As we rolled down the bumpy dirt road we didn't know quite what to expect. We were surprised to find a perfect location. We began to set up camp and then quickly got into the water to swim and explore along the edge of the shore. We saw many fish and it was a great start.




Myself and Taylor Flynn set up camp.
The view from my tent, to the left.

Rick Gunn

Kevin Cannon
Eric Jarvis
Taylor Flynn

Rob Swain

Ken Mirell
We woke up the next morning early as we had a great deal more climbing and this side of the island would be warm.

Taylor Flynn packs up camp.

We begin our journey uphill.
Our bags were still very heavy-laden and I began this day pushing my bike up to the main road.

I am beginning day number two in high spirits. It is  beautiful and I know not yet what lies ahead: HILLS

Ken Mirell and Taylor Flynn, our gear is so heavy we walk up to the main road.
As I have mentioned, I had run my very first marathon the week before I came to Maui. I had felt okay the first day bike riding. This second day was much more rigorous and I soon was instructed how to zigzag uphill when there is a steep incline and the weight of my bike and gear were more than my legs could manage.

I won't tell you the mantra that went through my head as I pumped my legs, but my former fifth grade teaching team from Vista Grande Elementary School know it. "Blank, blank, blank, blank!" I told myself with each push downward on my pedal. "Blank, blank, blank, blank" went the next four stroke rotation's rap in my head...

I thought I'd saved enough energy for riding this week. I now knew that there IS something more difficult than a marathon that is completed while running at 75% of my perceived effort.  I had purposely conserved myself during the Napa Valley Marathon seven days earlier. And yet. And yet this uphill climb was much harder than I'd imagined. My heavy heavy bike was a burden and I worried I might hold the other six members, all men, back. I also thought about child labor at that moment. I can say that all three have a lot in common.

In my mind, there was no turning back. No quitting. No complaining or saying I couldn't do it. I pushed away the doubting voice that wanted to creep to the surface. I willed myself forward, each determined pedal stroke. I decided that my mantra " Blank, blank, blank, blank" was not a good message. I decided to just "be" in the moment. To look at the road I was upon and move. Inching forward the views did not go unnoticed.
Eric carrying all of his gear and photography equipment too.

Still smiling, Eric carrying all that weight!

One beautiful view that morning.
After the morning fog had burned off or we had traveled past it, the climate began to change. We were getting overheated and there was a nearby stream where we parked our bikes alongside the road. I jumped in with my Keen bike sandals, bike shorts, and sports bra (the bike shirt tossed to the road as all of the guys were instructed to turn away). 

Ahhhh! Cool refreshing water. Getting in and out of the water was the trickiest part, climbing down a steep embankment with little growth to hold onto. There was a rope swing attached to the pillars above our heads. Locals began to gather and observe this group of bicyclists monkeying around.

We continued on until we came to a very special woman who bakes killer banana bread in very generous proportions. Her name was Lorraine and she and her husband took pity on us. We were able to refill our water bottles, eat large quantities of her delicious bread and enjoy a little tour of their surroundings. She took us to see the bananas and pineapples growing on her property. It was our first food stop where local food was eaten. It was by far our most favorite banana bread!

From there we road to Kahului/Wailuku area. It was one of our warmest days. We seemed to do a bit of waiting to purchase the permits but since we were all in no rush it never amounted to much stress. We set up camp in a gracious local couple's yard. After setting up our tents we rode in search of a local swimming pool. Some of our group stayed at the Banana Bungalow Hostel and enjoyed their time there immensely. http://www.mauihostel.com/surf.html

I would venture to guess they got a much better night's sleep as the frogs croaking kept us awake all night. We got up earlier than planned as a result of our eventful evening and headed toward the road to Hana.


No comments:

Post a Comment