About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, sister, mother, teacher and friend. These are my stories.

Monday, March 7, 2011

The Four Agreements

It's a simple book. It can be read in one day. Small.  The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz.

A few years ago on a walk a girlfriend had mentioned what a good book she had found. Very simple but profound. In time, I began to hear more about this little book of wisdom. I eventually bought it and I have read it several times. In short, here are the Four Agreements:

1. Be impeccable with your word.
2. Don't take anything personally.
3. Don't make assumptions.
4. Always do your best.

Think about it, if everyone lived by these four simple agreements, the world would be a better place. It's as though the very best of all books have been sifted down into these four statements.

On really good days I think of them and they remind me to not say something negative when I might be thinking of adding to a conversation. Or not be so sensitive. Or assume I know what someone else is thinking or their motives. Or to try really hard when it would be easy to breeze through a project or procrastinate doing it.

The past two weeks I've realized that for as strong and independent and happy and fulfilled and balanced that I strive to be, and have felt like I have been, I must have needed a lesson in not taking anything personally. That doesn't seem hard, until you have something that personally involves you.

It feels personal because it is personal.

No one said The Four Agreements would be easy to implement but I intend to continue trying my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment