About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, sister, mother, teacher and friend. These are my stories.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Maui Bike Tour-The Adventure Begins Part 2

Months of preparation were completed and I was just about ready to embark on my grand adventure to Maui on a bike tour. I finished my first marathon in Napa Valley just six days earlier. I knew I would be starting my trip somewhat fatigued but as my friends Rick Gunn and Eric Jarvis had said, Maui was not a race. The tour would be all about the journey, not reaching the end destination.

At last I was packed and ready to go to the airport. A friend drove me in his very large pickup truck, along with a very large bike box, a suitcase and a carryon bag.


I flew from Oakland to Maui and arrived as a single woman not quite sure how I would get to our friend Vanessa Cannon's house with my bike assembled. I am usually very organized and tend to like check-off lists. I decided to adopt the Maui way and to hang loose. I had a novel to read and would sit at the airport until I made contact with one of the members in our group and be directed to the storage unit nearby.

Thankfully after only an hour or so Eric began contacting me via text messages and I took a taxi to the storage center. While waiting for him to arrive I opened the bike box I had borrowed, took out all the items inside and began to put food, clothing and more in the pannier bags. Assembling the bike took no time at all with Eric showing me how to do it.

There was one slight glitch. The handlebars were loose as some of the bolts seemed to have been striped. I could not ride it. With assistance from my iPhone we headed to a nearby sporting goods store. No luck. The salesmen were very nice but they did not have the required parts.

A customer heard our dilemma and directed us to a local bicycle shop, Crater Cycles. We were fortunate that it, too, was within walking distance. It was hot, humid and I could feel the sweat dripping down the back of my sporty sundress. We walked into the bike shop and the young man working took my loaded bicycle into the back workroom and performed his repair magic.


At last I was ready to roll! I was joined again by Eric and we biked eight miles or so to get to Vanessa's home. We both relaxed while awaiting the others in our merry band.

Much later than we had imagined the others in our group joined us. As soon as they did so, we set up camp in Vanessa's yard.



As soon as "camp" was set up for the men (I confess I was given a bed inside the first night) we rode our bikes to a nearby beach to swim. From there we headed back to Vanessa's in search of food.

By nightfall we headed out once more with headlights added to our bikes where we found and ate delicious fish tacos. Food, as you will learn was definitely a priority.

The following morning we awoke and packed up all of the necessary items for our journey. Due to the warm weather I had opted to keep the sleeping bag at home, a decision I would be both thankful and regret later in our voyage.

I had packed a few surprises for our adventure, the first was a Birthday Princess sash for Vanessa, in celebration of her milestone birthday and recent weight loss.



We gathered our group for a photo shoot before beginning our journey.


Ken Mirell, myself, Eric Jarvis, Rick Gunn, Kevin Cannon, Vanessa Cannon, Taylor Flynn, Rob Swain

No comments:

Post a Comment