About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, sister, mother, teacher and friend. These are my stories.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Waiting Game

Lanny Edwards and Jen Handy in Kaui

Today I sit here and quite simply and humbly don't know how to write this entry. You see, I've been working toward the goal of spreading awareness of The Brain Aneurysm Foundation's organization. I'm raising money for TeamCindy by completing the Escape From Alcatraz triathlon in four months. I'm doing it as a way to acknowledge the legacy my friend and fellow mom, Anamarie Neveau left behind nearly five years ago. I've now learned about Cindy Sherwin, a vibrant young woman who was training for an Ironman and died from a brain aneurysm during that time period too. I've become aware of her mom, writing a book called Dear Cindy, I Love You  and forming TeamCindy as a way of dealing with her anger and grief and the unfairness of it all. I've learned about a woman on the Forward Motion Race Club, Tiffany, who literally is a running miracle. She had a brain aneurysm and survived. She runs. Fast. Very.

But about two weeks ago, another teammate, Lanny Edwards, was in Kauai with his friend, Jen Handy. They had a lovely dinner and were back relaxing after a long day. Jen had just downloaded photos of their adventures onto Facebook. She climbed into bed and began to feel sick. Nauseated. She did not have the typical killer headache. In fact, I have learned if you have the worse headache of your life, go to the hospital right away. Doing so can quite literally save your life.

For Jen, she did not have a headache. But in the early morning hours she experienced a ruptured brain aneurysm. Lanny found her and immediately called for help. She was flown by helicopter to Honolulu  and put into a medically induced coma. She had had two angioplasties in the arteries near her brain stem. It has been nearly two weeks of waiting. As each day ticks by her chances for recovery are not good.

Family has flown to be with her. Her stepdad, a devoted father, is asking for word to get out and for our prayers.

Now we wait.

If you would like to donate to the Brain Aneurysm Foundation please go to here:


No comments:

Post a Comment